Click Here to Read the Updated Version of this Post

While Medicaid law discourages applicants from giving away their assets before applying for benefits, the law allows some exceptions.

As a matter of public policy, Medicaid rules permit some gifts of money or property. This article explores exceptions that apply to some children of Medicaid recipients.

The following examples depart from the usual rule that transfers of assets (gifts) make applicants ineligible for benefits, if they are made within a certain time period prior to application.

House to caregiver child

One of the most frequently used exceptions applies to a son or daughter who has lived with, and provided care to, a Medicaid applicant.

To qualify, a son or daughter must have resided in the applicant’s home for at least two years before nursing home admission, and must have provided care that permitted the applicant to reside at home rather than in an institution.

If those conditions are met, the applicant may deed the residence to the caregiver child without receiving any money in return. This gift will not disqualify the applicant from benefits.

It is vital to prove that the caregiver child has met the qualifications. Affidavits, a letter from a treating physician, and tax records are all ways to help show entitlement to the exception.

Disabled, blind, or minor children

Medicaid law also allows exempt transfers to a son or daughter who is under 21 years of age, or blind, or “permanently and totally disabled.” Transfers may also be made to a trust (including a special needs trust) established for the benefit of such a child.

Medicaid applicants, who are typically older, rarely have children under the age of 21, but it does happen on occasion, particularly when the applicant is disabled in middle age or younger.

Much more common is the disabled son or daughter. An elderly Medicaid applicant may have a son or daughter who was born with special needs and remains disabled, or who developed a disability later in life through an accident or disease.

For example, an 85-year-old applicant may have a 55-year-old son who suffers a disability resulting from an industrial accident. The applicant could use $100,000 in excess assets, that would otherwise have to be spent down, to set up a special needs trust for her disabled son.


An applicant must follow the requirements of federal and Pennsylvania law to make exempt transfers effectively. An elder law attorney can provide guidance, gather evidence to establish entitlement, and prepare trust documents to help ensure eligibility

Do You Need Medicaid Planning?


412-531-7123 (Western PA)
215-600-0250 (Eastern PA)

Schedule a consultation call


Loved one in a nursing home (or soon to be)?

Find out if they qualify for Medicaid with our FREE downloadable guide & worksheets - or call to request a free copy be mailed to you.

Get answers about how PA values assets, and calculate step-by-step whether your loved one is eligible (and if not, get advice on what to do next).

Download Now

Related Posts

The #1 Problem in Powers of Attorney

The #1 Problem in Powers of Attorney

In the many powers of attorney I see in my line of work, one problem recurs over and over again. And it’s costing families tens of thousands, and even hundreds of thousands, of dollars in asset protection. The number one problem is inadequate gifting provisions. If...

Who has capacity to make a will?

Who has capacity to make a will?

Fundamental to the validity of any last will and testament is that the testator (person whose will it is, and who is signing the documents) had capacity at the time of execution. By statute, a testator in Pennsylvania must be “of sound mind” to make a will. (20 Pa....

Share This